DC Fans: Definitely Cool
In case the heat didn’t already give it away, it is now officially summer. And with the summer heat comes the desire to find the best–and most economical–way to keep that heat at bay. Whether you have central air or window units, the best way to maximize your cooling system’s efficiency is with the circulating power of ceiling fans. And now you can improve even further on that efficiency with better ceiling fans: DC (or Direct Current) powered fans.
So, you may ask, why are DC ceiling fans so great? Let me count the ways…
1. Energy efficiency. DC fans can be up to 70% more efficient than their AC powered counterparts. (That percentage includes DC fans with light kits, as long as they used fluorescent bulbs.) Such energy efficiency means DC fans are…
2. Less expensive to run. DC fans use less electricity to run, so you’re paying less to power it.
3. Silent running. The magnetic field that keeps a DC fan moving is a virtually silent process, so it won’t disturb sleep or conversations while the fan is running.
4. Need for speed. Whereas AC fans typically offer 3 speeds, DC fans can offer 5 or more. And each speed is distinct from the one above or below it, and runs consistently and smoothly.
5. Long life. The DC process keeps the motor cool, thereby greatly improving its functional life.
6. Small motor. Without all the extra components that an AC motor needs, a DC motor is significantly smaller. This tends to make DC fans more lightweight.
7. Great design. The smaller size of the DC motor also allows for smaller, more streamlined housings. This has opened up a whole new world of modern fan design.
The designs these days range from ultra-contemporary…
to more classic styles, like these industrial-looking Restoration fans:
So there’s a DC ceiling fan to match your style as well as your budget and efficiency needs. For more information about DC fans, including the science/engineering behind the technology, be sure to check out this article.